FreeBSD on IRC

Darren Pilgrim dmp at bitfreak.org
Sun Jun 5 21:07:21 GMT 2005

From: Chris
> While it's true anyone can flame anybody - we in the channel do have
> some easy things to follow before asking. In the topic it refers to
> seeking the Handbook, /usr/ports/updating & /usr/src/updating.
>
> Many users after reading such topics generally find that it's not much
> to ask that they do a few things on ones own. I have been in that
> channel for over a year, and while it's certainly try that
> does and can happen - it's generally warranted.

Treating people like dirt just for asking a question is NEVER warranted,
even if that question is at the level of, "What's the number for 911?"
People who come and ask questions are, at some level, genuinely in need of
help and deserve a genuine response.  If it's in the Handbook, then tell
them, "You need to do $FOO.  A guide and reference can be found in the
Handbook, section $BAR."

People only grow when they realize their stupidity on their own terms.
Forcing such realizations down their throats is not useful.