Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

aksis aksis at idea-anvil.net
Fri Feb 18 09:15:36 PST 2005

One other market to consider is offices environments.

KDE has all the basic office software and it runs well on FreeBSD.

The office suite has become quite a bit more compatible with MS formats.

The license costs for 100 workstations that people are just doing some data
entry or other similar repetitive tasks would be much cheaper. Major Upgrades
would cost less. Not sure on the development costs for a specific program for
a company would be any less expensive but some of these large companies might
be willing to invest the a little of the money they are saving in further
development of already existing open source software to have a feature or 2
added.

LAN services for the office.

I'm sure people could imagine more uses for office environments that would
benifit from using FreeBSD for their workstations.

--
James

"When you run 2 battelships into each other, they both sink."