Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 17 09:47:19 PST 2005

Thomas Leveille writes:

> It's a really bad argument. Porsche sells SUVs : the Cayenne.
> And it uses many components of a traditionnal Porsche 911.

But it's not a Porsche 911, and Porsche does not promote 911s as SUVs.

> FreeBSD can be viable for many tasks, there's no sense to dismiss one
> of them.

Not dimissing it, just putting it into is proper perspective.

> Please stop launching those stupid trolls, that sure doesn't help
> FreeBSD advocacy.

Promoting FreeBSD in the wrong way for the wrong purposes does a lot
more damage.  Someone who tries to use FreeBSD for a purpose for which
it isn't suited, after hearing glowing endorsements by people who don't
tell the whole story, may be soured on the OS entirely and may badmouth
it for years.

--
Anthony