SPAM: Score 3.7: Re: Instead of freebsd. com, why not...

Sander Vesik sander.vesik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 03:47:49 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:16:49 +0100, Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Nikolas Britton writes:
>
> > Care to extrapolate on your comment?
>
> I've already done so, several times.
>
> > You'll need X just to install Oracle on your server.
>
> Oracle?  I thought the big deal with software like FreeBSD was that it
> is open source, and free.  And you want me to buy and install Oracle on
> it?  Or has Oracle been released to the free open-source world?

No.  The question is not whetever you have to buy Oracle - something
that is not the case - but that you can buy and run Oracle on a server
and in many cases may well want to, including on FreeBSD. The same
applies to many other commercial software packages out there. FreeBSD
is primarily an opertaing system and as such should provide services
to userland prorams without forcing value jugements as to what kinds
of userland programs these are.

> What's wrong with something like MySQL?

While the uses of Oracle and MySQL are for the most entirely
orthognal, the answer is "to run databases".  Whats wrong with MySQL
is that the kinds of databases you can and really want to run with it
are a rather limited set.  If what you need is covered by MySQL, sure
nothing is wrong with it but it by far doesn't cover everything.