SPAM: Score 3.7: Re: Instead of freebsd. com, why not...

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Wed Feb 16 21:51:44 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Nikolas Britton writes:
>

>>Care to extrapolate on your comment?
>>

>I've already done so, several times.

No, you haven't or I didn't see it.

>>You'll need X just to install Oracle on your server.
>>

>Oracle?  I thought the big deal with software like FreeBSD was that it
>is open source, and free.  And you want me to buy and install Oracle on
>it?  Or has Oracle been released to the free open-source world?

One reason would be that it's required for the Compiere open source
ERP/CRM software package. They are tring to port it to PostgreSQL and
Sybase but those are a long way off because they need $20,000 to do it:
http://www.compiere.org/

>What's wrong with something like MySQL?

Umm where do I start... :-) I'm quite happy with PostgreSQL and can't
use MySQL anyways because SQL-Ledger doesn't support MySQL because MySQL
is lacking required features.