Public Image and Acceptance

Shawn Harrison harrison at tbc.net
Tue Feb 15 12:00:15 PST 2005

cpghost at cordula.ws wrote [02/15/05 12:40 PM]:
> This is exactly the point here. By calling for a logo competition,
> the Project is mutating into a vendor. If that is really the idea,
> a lot of problems could ensue, e.g. for the Foundation's non-profit
> status etc...

I think you're overstating it. Calling for a logo competition can arise
from a concern about image, whether or not that concern is motivated by
profit concerns (as with a vendor) or by public perception and image
concerns.

Every non-profit needs to be concerned with public perception and image.
I agree with those who have stated that there is really no conflict
between concern for the quality of the OS and concern for the public
image of the OS. As has been stated, those who will fulfill these
concerns are often different people -- those who make graphic designs of
the website are usually different than those who write kernel modules
(usually!).

Shawn Harrison

P.S. I think the logo competition is the best thing to happen for
FreeBSD advocacy in a long time, judging from the conversation that it
generated. This list was dead for the whole four months that I had been
subscribed to it.
--
harrison at tbc.net