SPAM: Score 4.0: Logo contest, and lessons from the XFree86 d ebacle

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Mon Feb 14 03:54:15 PST 2005

Johnson David wrote:
> From: Farid Hajji [mailto:farid.hajji at ob.kamp.net]
>
>>Remember what happened with the XFree86 project as they choose
>>to change their license terms without community support? Now
>>we have X.org and most relevant developers moved there, just
>>because XFree86's Mgmt failed to address the community's
>>concerns appropriately.
>

> This is completely different from the current controversy. XFree86 had been
> gaining a reputation for quite a while. The licensing switch was merely "the
> last straw". The logo issue is very different. Beastie is not going away, as
> has been mentioned by numerous posts and clarifications. The logo is
> something new, as FreeBSD does not currently have one (neither does OpenBSD
> or Linux, BTW).

Linux has no logo? Nor OpenBSD? Really?
So what is that red hat I see on www.redhat.com? Or the gecko
looking thing on SuSe? Or the whirl thing on Debian? And the
blowfish over at www.openbsd.org? Mandrake seems to have a yellow
star with a blue tail somehow associated to almost everything it
does?
If all of the above mentioned isnt logos, then I sure as hell
dont know what a logo is.

The daemon is to BSD what the penguin is to linux. All of the
linux distributions have grasped this years ago and created logos
of their own, used individually or together with the penguin
without even the slightest problems. But look what happened when
someone suggested that maybe we should get a logo too. A never
ending flamefest on every mailinglist!
We may have better software then the penguin people, but when it
comes to marketing they beat the shit out of us.
Lets face it. FreeBSD is so far behind *everything* when it comes
to marketing its not even funny.