Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Feb 13 18:08:37 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:11:40AM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:
>
> >Nope. Beastie is a way of life. I'd be quite upset if it were dropped
> >for whatever reason. It is so intimately tied to FreeBSD that it would
> >be a PR disaster if it were to be changed. NetBSD never had a real
>
> The BSD daemon image stems from around 4.3BSD, or an even earlier
> release, not FreeBSD.  It can therefore never be specific for the
> FreeBSD system, in the same way Ronald McDonald doesn't stand for the
> Big Mac alone, but rather for the entire company.  In earlier years,
> before the general hype about Linux and *BSD, I've seen the image being
> used in presentations about Unix in general.

[Redirected from -questions to -advocacy]

True. Beastie has a venerable tradition, and FreeBSD just upheld it.
I too have a lot of CDs, buttons, t-shirts and printouts pre-dating
FreeBSD *and* Jolitz' 386BSD which show the little devil. Kirk presents
also some old renditions of Beastie, even one from 4.2BSD:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/shirts/bsdunix.html
http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/images.html

Sadly, NetBSD switched to a meaningless flag logo, and OpenBSD's
Puffy is hardly a daemon (though it is cute in its own way).
This leaves FreeBSD as the only OS that still uses Beastie as
a way to characterize itself. It would be a shame to select a
de-beastyfied say-nothing logo.

Cheers,
-cpghost.

--