SPAM: Score 3.3: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Sun Feb 13 17:14:17 PST 2005

From: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC [mailto:chad at shire.net]

> Not to say that you cannot run a FreeBSD desktop.  And any efforts to
> make that easier are applauded.  I used to run Linux on the desktop[1]
> and FreeBSD on the server.  Setting up Linux as a desktop at the time
> (1990-2000 timeframe) was so much easier.  I don't know about now, but
> with Linux (SuSE is what I used back then) it was as easy as setting up
> Windows.

The suitability of a system for the desktop has only a little to do with
installation and setup. If you're a newbie sitting at home without an
administrator, then by all means stick with Mac OSX. But the desktop market
is far bigger than the newbie sitting at home. You also have to consider the
business desktop where you have sysadmins to do the installation and setup.
If you can train an admin to configure X.org (which ain't that hard), then
there's no reason you can't have FreeBSD and KDE/GNOME/WhateverDE on the
business desktop. Other than mindshare, that is.

David