An observation

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 13 14:52:10 PST 2005

Chris writes:

> Ahh - so the mentality behind it is simply this;
> You get tired of doing the right thing, so you do the wrong thing and
> force everyone else that follows the rules, do all the cutting.

No.  The behavior this produces is the correct behavior for a mailing
list.

Normally, someone posts a first message to a mailing list, and then
people who reply to that message send replies that are also routed to
the list, so that all on the list can share the contents of the replies
(that is, after all, why it's a list).  If someone asks a question, for
example, it makes little sense for all replies to the question to go
privately to the person asking it, since many other people may have the
same question.  Logically all replies are sent to the list, so that
everyone can see them.

The fact that virtually everyone on these lists is doing exactly this
demonstrates that it is indeed "correct" for these lists.  However, many
of them are doing it with "reply all" or by manually changing the
destination address of their replies, which is labor-intensive and
generates an extra, useless copy of the reply in the case of "reply
all."  I've simply automated a solution to this in my own e-mail
configuration so that I don't have to alter every single message in
order to route it correctly.

I hope this clarifies things.

> Yes - I am guilty as charged (this time) however, you continually do it.
> There IS a difference.

The biggest difference is that you spend most of your bandwidth
attacking me, instead of discussing the nominal topics of the threads
here.  You'll notice that I do not reciprocate, nor do I complain.

--
Anthony