An observation

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 13 14:45:26 PST 2005

Chris writes:

> What your doing, is wrong.

No, it's standard SMTP. I worked with corporate messaging systems for
years; I know whereof I speak. The "reply-to" setting is always set at
the discretion of the originating MUA, although MTAs can be configured
to override it (but MTAs do not do this by default).

The error is in the list configuration.  People who reply to the list
must either change the address manually or do a "reply all," which
creates a duplicate message, one to the list and one to the sender.
This wastes bandwidth, and it wastes human labor as well because almost
all replies are replies to the list, and thus require constant "reply
all" or address changes.

The mailers handling the lists should be setting "reply-to" on all
outgoing posts, or should change the sender to the address of the list.
Some home-brewed list programs don't do this, however.

> It's ignorant, and against the charter of the lists.

I haven't been able to locate a charter for the lists, beyond a simple
statement of the purpose of each list. Additionally, it's standard
practice for mailing lists to route replies back to the list. I use the
"reply-to" convention to compensate for lists that are misconfigured
(they are a minority, but a significant minority).

--
Anthony