Rework of the FreeBSD website[was:FreeBSD'sVisualIdentity:Outdated?]

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sun Feb 13 14:23:49 PST 2005

Chris Zumbrunn wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2005, at 9:26 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
>> Chris Zumbrunn writes:
>>
>>> I've updated the html based mockups to incorporate changes I made
>>> resulting from the recent discussions (mainly on the advocacy list).
>>>
>>> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb1h.html
>>> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb2h.html
>>>
>> I see you've been pugging way at it sense your last post on www, I
>> like even more then before... but still, respectfully, I don't like
>> your logo(s) :-) and here's why (constructive criticism):
>>
>> *FreeBSD is FreeBSD not FREEBSD. Also "FreeBSD" is trademarked the
>> other is not.
>

> You're referring to the US/UK/German/Japanese trademark the FreeBSD
> foundation recently got from Windriver, correct? Is that now a logo
> trademark or a word trademark? Word trademarks never differentiate
> between small and capitalized letters. If the trademark is limited to
> just the "FreeBSD" version then it isn't a word trademark.

I don't know, see my other post to you on what my thinking was.

>> *beastie.gif, the beastie in this logo looks disturbed and
>> threatening. I get anxious and agitated when I look at him, make him
>> more happy, playful, cute, etc....
>> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/glenda.html
>

> I've since simplified the new Beastie silhouette even more, which
> certainly doesn't help to make him more happy, playful or cute. Not
> sure if I can help with that.

Well the main thing(s) I don't like is he has a beer gut (beastie.gif)
and the size and shape (nose/mouth area) of his head is werid. also the
size of his pitch fork was/is almost bigger then him.

>> *freehorns.gif, looks like a Viking helmet.
>>
>> *freehornsntail.gif, looks like a Viking with a pointy tail.
>>
>> freehorns2.gif and freehornsntail2.gif are the ones I like most out
>> of the bunch.
>

> The point of all these logos was to show that while it would be
> possible to go in that typical "more corporate" direction, ultimately
> no such logo can beat Beastie. Here are some more...
>
> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freecrap5.gif
> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freecrap4.gif

I like 4... Can you humor me and make some mockups of some of the
layouts here? (I'm useless without photoshop and now that I run 100% BSD
at home I don't have it, until I get wine/ps working):
http://www.nbritton.org/uploads/freebsdlogos1.png