The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Feb 13 11:36:34 PST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 7:44 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Chris Zumbrunn wrote:
>
>> While the Beastie mascot isn't exclusive to FreeBSD and instead is
>> used as a mascot for BSD unixes in general, a new FreeBSD Beastie
>> logo is subject to the additional copyright of its designer and can
>> as such be exclusive to the FreeBSD project. In combination with the
>> word FreeBSD and with the approval of the copyright holders, it could
>> indeed even be registered as a trademark. But FreeBSD is not a
>> company, and for its marketing purposes it doesn't require the
>> protection of a trademark. So, replacing Beastie as the FreeBSD logo
>> is NOT necessary.
>
> The FreeBSD Foundation was setup was for thing such as this, currently
> the 'FreeBSD' trademark is under the control of the foundation. Also I
> feel that the designer of this new logo should transfer copyright
> holder status to FreeBSD or the Foundation.

As far as I know that's a trademark for the word FreeBSD - not a logo
trademark. Even a company would usually only go through the trouble of
registering a logo trademark if it can't get protection for the word
because it is to generic. Beastie itself of course should continue to
belong to the entire BSD community. The FreeBSD foundation "only" owns
the word FreeBSD - but that's entirely sufficient.

/czv