The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sun Feb 13 10:31:19 PST 2005

stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com> writes:
> Core being Core will do what they think is best, and they have every
> right to. That's not my point. My point is the discussion took place in
> secret.

The discussion took place on a mailing list with over 300 subscribers.
Hardly a conspiracy.

>          What I am suggesting is that when certain discussions take
> place that they be publicly readable. The US and UK (other countries
> too, I'm sure) have television cameras in their legislative chambers so
> those who are interested can hear pro and con arguments on some issues
> by those making the decisions.

The reason for this is that the legislators are accountable to the
public that elected them.  FreeBSD committers are not elected by - and
therefore not accountable to - the user base.

Here's how FreeBSD works: we, the committers, write and maintain an
operating system.  In our magnanimity, we allow you, the users, to use
and modify it to your heart's content, and we even try to help you
when you get stuck.  Once in a while, we get to like one of you so
much we make him or her one of us.  The only decision left to you, the
users, is whether or not to use our OS.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no