Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Sat Feb 12 11:14:52 PST 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

As far as Im concerned, there are no logos on the website. There is a
mascot, but no logo. This, it seems, is a matter of opinion.

> What I and others have always said when someone like you comes along
> is that you should go for it.  Put up a prototype website, it's a
> free country.  Let us look at it.  If it's better then the doc people
> will welcome your efforts on it.

'Better' would be a matter of opinion. It would also depend on how you
define a good website. For technical people looking for documentation,
the current website is very good. For marketing purposes, it sucks.
Eventough it is possible to combine the two, I advocate the separated
.org/.com solution, simply because the target audiences have very
different needs. You, clearly belonging in the technical category,
refuses to complement Beastie with a more proffesional logo, something
I think is necessary to satisfy the second category. Hence, a separate
site for marketing people seems to be a necessity.

> Generally when we say this people like you complaining
> about the website disappear when they realize they are going to
> have to put their labor where their mouths are.

If someone points out that something needs improvements, but they are
unable to improve it themselves, does this mean that the need for
improvement does not exist?
Im not a website designer nor a marketing droid, but Im still able to
see that FreeBSD could need improvement in these areas. If I could
contribute, I would, but I fear that anything I could design would not
even beat what we have today. This does not mean that the current
website is unbeatable, it just means that I suck at webdesigning.
If I could contribute in other ways, I would. Im more then willing to
contribute financially and technically, its just that money and
technical skills alone will not make a website.

> So bye bye.
>
> Ted

Bye.