Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sat Feb 12 10:11:29 PST 2005

On Feb 12, 2005, at 6:26 PM, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> I advocate changes, you disagree with me, and then you list a lot of
> points that should be changed? Im having difficulties with your logic
> here. :)

I'm not against the changes, of course. I'm not "against" a separate
freebsd.com site either. But I disagree that there are no valid
arguments against the site split. Changing the one combined site would
be both possible and preferable.

> All of your points are valid, there are so many things that would
> improve FreeBSD's image with just a little tweaking. However,
> everytime I've tried to suggest even the slightest change to
> freebsd.org, people has started to kick and scream and preach about
> the end of the OS as we know it. Therefor I have abandoned every hope
> of ever make freebsd.org evolve, and instead joined the advocates of a
> user-friendly freebsd.com website.
>
> Personally, Im backing out of this discussion now. I would love to see
> something happen, but there is a limit to how much resistance and
> stubbornes a man can take. Everytime this kind of discussion has come
> up, I've tried my best to support any attempts of actually making
> something happen, but the incredible amount of resistance we always
> meet has made me question if its worth it. Until core or atleast a
> group of committers *make* something happen, I doubt anything will
> change.
>
> If you go ahead and try to change freebsd.org, I wish you the best of
> luck. The brickwall you are about to bang youre head against is very
> hard. ;)

You may be right about that - or maybe the freebsd community will proof
you wrong this time :-)  ...Either way, I think there is to much talk
and to much focus on the surface, cosmetic stuff. The hard work is in
producing and collecting the content for the "freebsd.com" site - not
in linking to it from a professional looking front page. That we can
do, whichever TLD suffix (or alternative domain name for that matter!)
it will use.

/czv