SPAM: Score 3.3: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Stephan Lichtenauer fbsdlists at mnet-online.de
Sat Feb 12 01:41:54 PST 2005

Am 12.02.2005 um 00:00 schrieb Johnson David:

> From: Anthony Atkielski [mailto:atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr]
>>
>> Because FreeBSD is a server, not a desktop.
>
> Agree and disagree. While FreeBSD is well suited for the server, it's
> also
> well suited for the desktop. That doesn't mean that we should be
> stressing
> the desktop to those shopping for servers, instead it means that we
> shouldn't be telling those shopping for desktops to go use Linux
> instead.
> How many business will be running Linux on the desktop but FreeBSD on
> the
> server? None!
>
> Currently Windows rules the desktop world, even for diehard Unix
> shops. But
> that will not last forever. We need to start thinking about the desktop
> today. We need to stop the official discouragement of desktop FreeBSD.

I agree with you, David, that although FreeBSD is primarily a server OS
right now the desktop should not be forgotten.

> So how about a "www.serverfreebsd.com" and a "www.desktopfreebsd.com"?
> You
> get the best of both worlds that way.

I would not make completely separate sites. Maybe IMHO make two
separate big areas you can choose on the start page of the website but
make one entry point so people immediately can see that FreeBSD can be
used for both. Alternatively one could make links from the single
freebsd.com (or whatever its name will be) to these two sites you
propose.

Stephan