FreeBSD 5.3 MySQL Performance

Jeff Behl jbehl at fastclick.com
Thu Feb 10 13:52:37 PST 2005

>Any so-called "benchmark" comparing Linux to anything else (especially
>windoze) has been polluted by the tradition in the linux/windoze world
>of running their disks in the completely unsafe "asynchronous" mode so
>popular with the ATA disk drive manufacturers.  This method means that
>you never actually know whether or not the drive ever writes your data
>on the disk.  It could just sit in the cache waiting for a power failure
>so that you lose everything.  This "async" mode means that the
>benchmarks "look" fast but are completely unsafe.

so by this logic, if i re-mount my partitions async i can get the same
performance?  this isn't meant as a rub, i would seriously consider
doing this if it were the case. i'd like to know any and all ways i can
make mysql faster.  we have fleats of mysql servers with redundant
data.  the loss of a server due to corruption is not problematic