Logo Contest

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Wed Feb 9 21:33:08 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 08:48 pm, "Andrew L. Gould"
<algould at datawok.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 10:21 pm, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> > > No.  Your statement would be correct if Beastie were losing his
> > > status as the mascot.  Beastie is retaining his status as the
> > > mascot.
> >
> > Beastie is losing its status as a logo.

> > > FreeBSD has a powerful, serious, professional side that Beastie
> > > does not
> >
> > Do above attributes apply to the logo of the most successful
> > software package known as Windows?
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx
>
> I care about the OS's popularity only for the driver support it may
> someday bring.  I care more about spending more time talking about
> FreeBSD's strengths than explaining that the devil is a daemon, which
> has both a Greek definition and is also an acronym.
>
> > > All religious and Political Correctness issues aside, do you have
> > > any objections to a more complete and accurate image for FreeBSD?
> >
> > FreeBSD already has this image.
>
> Only in tight circles where it is well known.  Where I live and work,
> it is mostly unknown.  Those who have heard of it think that it's
> either a Linux distribution or one of those hacker tools.  You know
> about hackers, don't you?  They're young, bright criminals that
> create computer viruses and steal your personal identity.

I'm not sure how changing the logo is going to change that perception.
If they're lumping in all unices into h4x0rw0r1d, then do they even
know about the logo? Some people think that because malicious people
use nmap it shouldn't be available to anyone. Personally, I don't
listen to such people. Why should I? Money?

> People fear the unknown.  Add to the unknown, add a group of people
> that have been negatively stereotyped by Hollywood and the news
> media, and a logo that may represent something less than wholesome.
> I live in East Texas and work for a hospital in West Texas.  In both
> ends of this great state, which I love dearly, I am hesitant to wear
> my Beastie t-shirts.  Windows is king here, and anything not
> supported by a major vendor must be a tool used by malcontents.  I
> administer the only *nix computer at my workplace.  Since I am NOT a
> member of the IS department, I hope you can imagine the trouble I
> went through to get permission to use FreeBSD.  It was only after
> turnover of key IS positions that I was able to establish good
> working relationships with IS personnel.  Things are good now; but
> were not always so.

Would it have been easier if you had tried to get permission to use
NetBSD instead?

- jt