Logo Contest

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Wed Feb 9 14:50:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:43:15PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 04:27 pm, Shawn Harrison wrote:
> > Robert Watson wrote [02/09/05 3:13 PM]:
> > >
> > > The comment is accurate.  We'd like to get a logo we can provide to
> > > companies that are willing to stick it on their products as
> > > "supporting FreeBSD" -- while we all love the Daemon, we know that
> > > not every company can stick it on their Ethernet card box or server
> > > support web page.  The intent is to keep Beastie as the Mascot, and
> > > you'll still see him all over the place.  I can't imagine that
> > > FreeBSD t-shirts will stop holding him, let alone the large number
> > > of web pages, CDROM distributions, and so on. And don't forget the
> > > stuffed animal Beasties :-).
> >
> > I'm glad to hear this, because the announcement paragraph about
> > "religious sensitivities" would certainly lead one to a different
> > conclusion. If what you're saying is honest, then that paragraph is
> > entirely beside the point.
> >
> > The real point is to have a professional looking _logo_ to
> > _complement_ (not replace) the cute mascot. That makes sense.
> > Replacing the mascot with something else for the reasons cited in
> > that paragraph does not make sense.
> >
> > --
> > Shawn Harrison
>
> I think that hits the nail on the head; but that's not the message that
> got out.

The message that got out is not finished.
Twelve hours ago I was still in discussion with various people over
exactly what the announcement will say, and as far as I'm aware that
has still not been finalised and I sure as hell have not seen an
announcement being made.

Two weeks ago everyone got excited because there was a pixel tracker
named g5powerbook.gif on apple.com - look what that got us.  Wait for
the announcement.

> I've been reading the fallout both on this list and
> freebsd-questions.  There's a lot of unnecessary heat out there.
>
> Can an "official someone" send out an official message emphasizing the
> following:
>
> 1. Beastie is the mascot.  This will remain unchanged.
>
> 2. We need a professional logo, separately and regardless of PC
> (Political Correctness) issues.

That's the idea, but I am not the "official someone" that you are
looking for.  Wait for the announcement.

Ceri
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)