Logo Contest

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 9 14:47:56 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> Can an "official someone" send out an official message emphasizing the
> following:
>
> 1. Beastie is the mascot.  This will remain unchanged.

Yup.

> 2. We need a professional logo, separately and regardless of PC
> (Political Correctness) issues.

Yup.  And the real announcement text, asks specifically for a logo that
can be used *with* the current mascot, or separately, so the design should
work with the beastie.  I'm not sure how you say "Make it work well with
the devil, stylistically speaking" in a logo request, but we'll figure
something out. :-)

The FreeBSD Project yet again learns the following important lesson: don't
ever put anything on a web site before you're ready for the world to see
it, even if it makes it easier to edit.  You'd think after we had 3+
releases prematurely announced on www.slashdot.org due to postings to the
FTP directories during replication that we'd have figured that out.

Robert N M Watson