The FreeBSD Project is announcing a public competition for the new logo design. ????

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Wed Feb 9 11:44:24 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 10:38 am, Mark Ovens <marko at freebsd.org>
wrote:
> Ricardo Alves dos Reis wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the cute FreeBSD daemon is sometimes treated with
> > misunderstanding in the religious and cultural context. That's why
> > The FreeBSD Project is announcing a public competition for the new
> > logo design. You can find the rules of the competition in this
> > document.
> >
> > http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/announce.txt ??????
>
> <sigh> So, the FreeBSD Project is giving in to the narrow-minded,
> puritanical, moral minority who, despite their preachings are not
> very well-informed as they don't know the difference between 'demon'
> and 'daemon'. Is this a sign (or a victim perhaps?) of the "growing
> conservatism sweeping Bush's America"?
>
> The Mozilla project had/has to put up with similar crap about it's
> logo because numpties think that the red star represents Communism.
>
> Oh, and since we're being all Politically Correct....
>
> 	* The logo must not exploit or offend a person's sex, race,
> 	  religion, morality, culture , nor be salacious or
> 	  pornographic.
>
> we should drop 'BSD' from the name because, over the years, plenty of
> people have assumed that *BSD is some form of kinky sex outfit - same
> problem, they don't know the difference between BSD and BDSM.
>
> I see that NetBSD and OpenBSD have already dropped Beastie - the
> latter adopting a butt-ugly fish (the style of which implies bloated
> fatware to me).

Oh, I hardly see it that way. Do you think OpenBSD is "bloated fatware?"
I think anyone who understands security enough to be interested in
OpenBSD knows why Puffy is a blowfish.

> Beastie has been the BSD symbol for nearly 17 years (based on Kirk's
> copyright date of 1988) and, as far as I'm concerned it always will
> be.

I agree with most of what you said, but, hey, no need to slag on Puffy.
I think he distinguishes OpenBSD and emphasizes its primary strength.

- jt