BSD Success Stories

Matt Olander matt at offmyserver.com
Wed Mar 31 16:43:34 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:35:50PM -0500, Mike Jeays wrote:
> I am really glad they switched to FreeBSD, and I am sure it will turn
> out well for them - but I wonder why they didn't just stop buying
> support from Red Hat, and switching to Fedora, or one of the other Linux
> distributions that can be run without paying a support fee?

Because I told them FreeBSD was better ;-)

Actually, for a variety of reasons, some of them concerning the
SCO issues. My company is not going to indemnify end-users from any
potential lawsuits resulting in purchasing Linux servers. Seems like a
non-issue until you are actually being sued. At that point, it may not
even be a matter of who's wrong and who's right, but who can afford more
attorney fees.

Also, PSoft, the software company that makes the hosting software that
they use apparently do their development work on FreeBSD and recommended
it as well.

> Do they have a quote on how much better the performance is?

I don't know that they have many hard numbers, but I'll certainly poke
around when I'm writing this up.

cheers,
-matt

--