BSD Success Stories

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Wed Mar 31 16:36:02 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 18:04, Matt Olander wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:50:32PM -0500, Dru wrote:
> > O'Reilly is in the process of creating a "BSD Success Stories" booklet to
> > be given away at trade shows, conferences, etc. For those of you who are
> > familiar with the "Perl Success Stories", it will be following a similar
> > format. You can get an idea of the types of stories at:
> >
> > 	http://perl.oreilly.com/news/success_stories.html
> >
> > If anyone is interested in contributing a success story, please contact
> > chromatic at oreilly.com. If we can get five or six fairly quickly, there's a
> > good chance the booklets will be ready for BSDCan (www.bsdcan.org) :-)
>
> great! thanks Dru. we'll be sure to submit our recent story of
> converting www.hostdepartment.com over to FreeBSD. previously, the company
> was using RedHat and faced an additional 21,000 dollar cost to upgrade
> to the advanced server edition. that, plus the ongoing annual support
> costs can get a bit expensive.
>
> now, they have 30 new systems running FreeBSD that are outperforming
> their previous Linux machines, and, with a bit of training, are now
> lower maintenence than ever before ;-)
>
> it should also boost FreeBSD on the netcraft lists too since this customer hosts so
> many (100k plus?) websites.
>
> cheers,
> -matt

I am really glad they switched to FreeBSD, and I am sure it will turn
out well for them - but I wonder why they didn't just stop buying
support from Red Hat, and switching to Fedora, or one of the other Linux
distributions that can be run without paying a support fee?

Do they have a quote on how much better the performance is?