Mainframe support

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 29 14:06:21 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:44:19PM -0800, Johnson David wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2004 12:30 pm, Adam Turoff wrote:
> > So while IBM's VM per se may only be interesting to the Fortune 500,
> > virtualization is gaining traction, especially at the low end of the
> > spectrum.  ISPs for example have been offering accounts on virtual
> > machines for a few years now.  I wouldn't be surprised to see shops
> > that used to buy vanilla boxes in groups of 4 to soon start buying
> > boxes one one by one, adding a few GB of RAM and at least 1 TB of
> > disk, and partitioning them on demand.
>
> I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but the John Company
> (www.johncompanies.com) seems to be already doing this with FreeBSD.

Right.  JC use FreeBSD jails.  I've had one with them for a while;
they're a good company -- solid support, and it does exactly what it
says on the tin.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)