Mainframe support

Charlie Root root at cimbali.dssrg.curtin.edu.au
Mon Mar 29 07:10:56 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:19:43AM -0500, Mike Jeays wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 23:41, Charon wrote:
> > IBM is currently pushing Linux on its big iron offerings. What similar
>
> IBM implemented its VM Operating system many years ago. It is capable of
> running guest operating systems that "believe" they are running on a

	I was just curious. A local news site zdnet.au posted a story about
	Centrelink (large IT user in Australia) stalling Linux deployment
	because of SCO FUD. Someone mentioned that BSD couldn't be used
	because it couldn't run on a mainframe so I figured I would ask.

> MVS. VM can run many copies of Linux simultaneously.  I am not sure it
> is quite fair to call this a "smoke and mirrors" port.

	I wasn't dissing IBM :-), shouldave used a different term.