FreeBSD Most wanted

John Martinez rolnif at mac.com
Fri Mar 5 17:47:32 PST 2004

On Mar 5, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Johnson David wrote:

> ...There is no reason we have to hang our heads in shame whenever the
> Windows or Mac desktops are mentioned. While FreeBSD can't do
> everything the other guy can, don't forget that the other guy can't do
> everything FreeBSD with KDE/GNOME can.

I wasn't trying to bash FreeBSD at all. I think it's a great operating
system. Heck, the reason I even went Mac OS X was because of its BSD
foundation.

I still think that FreeBSD and most of the UNIX and UNIX-like desktops
need a little more work to make them equal to the commercially
available applications on the Mac. IMO, Apple has done a great job of
bringing BSD to the masses, and the user will never even have to know
that there is a command line underneath it all. My family members use
Macs and they don't know a think about UNIX. Now if FreeBSD could do
that...

-john