FreeBSD Most wanted

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Fri Mar 5 13:23:20 PST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 18:54, Johnson David wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2004 10:55 am, Daniela wrote:
> > I have not even written a million code lines yet, as I'm only 16
> > years old and have one and a half year of programming experience. But
> > I love that low-level stuff so much that I already think in ASM.
> > I did not intend to troll around or start another holy war, I was
> > just expressing my opinion.
>
> Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But one should always let other
> people know that it is an opinion, and not state it as a firm
> conclusion that will brook no argument.
>
> In an earlier post you said: "I know what I'm speaking of". Now it turns
> out that you are only sixteen, only been programming for one and a half
> years, and don't really know what you are speaking of. While a year and
> a half of study and practice will give you a lot of programming
> knowledge, it only gives you a paltry year and a half of experience.

I do have the knowledge of optimization because I jumped right in. I never
wrote "hello world" programs or all the other stuff beginning programmers
normally write. I know that it makes little sense to optimize parts of a
program that are not computationally expensive, and I know that C or other
high-level languages *can* incur a lot of overhead. It depends on the
program, of course.
I know it is true that, while I may have a great knowledge, I simply lack the
experience in some areas.