Daemon's Advocate article

Narvi narvi at haldjas.folklore.ee
Tue Mar 2 18:57:35 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Scott I. Remick wrote:

> --- Johnson David <DavidJohnson at Siemens.com> wrote:
> > I'm a desktop user. I have noticed more than once some active disdain
> > towards the desktop by FreeBSD developers. Why is this? Did I miss the
> > sign out front saying "servers only"? You don't have to be a
> > dumb-downed system like Lindows to be suitable for the desktop.
>
> I have to concur. For some reason, there seems to be a common attitude that
> if you use FreeBSD to any extent, you must be a C++ programmer with the
> ability to write drivers and patch applications. While I fully respect the
> fact that this is a volunteer effort, the above can come off as rather harsh
> and deterring for a new user. We FreeBSD users often scold the Linux
> community for their attitude problems... why must we replace one bad
> attitude with another in our own community?

The attitude towards "FreeBSD on desktop" used to be *REALLY* bad. Up to
and including core(*1) members saying that FreeBSD on desktop was
pointless and servers are the only direction. Its reasonable now even if
not exactly embracing. Which is a pity - peopel don't seem to draw a
connection between developers choice of desktops to servers getting
installed.

> The people who volunteer their free time for the good of the FreeBSD
> community can do a lot of things in their sleep which are beyond the
> abilities of the common desktop user. Perhaps some have some free time,

yes, but... I'd rather not be at a sever disadvantage because I use
freebsd on desktop instead of using linux.

> perhaps others find a request simple enough that they can balance their time
> to handle something that would help someone else. But to make a polite
> request and get back "Why don't you port it yourself if you want it?" or
> "patch/driver submissions welcome" conveys an impression that FreeBSD is for
> developers only... if you can't code, your input isn't desired.
>
> I know it's all volunteer, and I volunteer my time and efforts in the ways I
> can despite not being a C++ coder. Nor have I graduated to the point where I
> can port applications (although I will be willing to attempt it once I can
> have an additional test PC environment where I can risk experimenting with
> apps not in the ports tree). But I field a lot of new-user questions, have
> gotten several people up and going who turn to me first with questions, I
> run an advocacy/news/help site, and so on. We all help as we can.
>
> I'm sorry to see Greg leave. I own his book and found it very useful.

Definitely - I have seen him do tons of very important stuff, I hope he
does stay around.

(*1) This is the old-old, unlected core i'm talking about