FreeBSD Most wanted

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Tue Mar 2 14:46:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:07:34 -0800 (PST)
twig les <twigles at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > inappropriate. The sad fact is that those making technology
> > decisions
> > are no longer technologically savvy.
> >
> > David
>
> I mentioned this about a year ago in a similar thread; I don't
> think FBSD needs to get *anything* done to replace the majority
> of Linux/Windoze servers.  Nothing technical anyway.  The OS
> runs great; the problem is one of PR.
>
> We have nothing to throw the name "FreeBSD" in ppl's faces like
> that god-awful MCSE thing does for MS.  We can not compete with
> this type of marketing by telling our MBA boss about the cool
> new filesystem acls in 5.x.  Every knowledgeble and experienced
> *nix admin I've ever met has admitted that FBSD is a great OS,
> even if they are primarily Debian, Slowaris, RH, whatever
> users/admins.

Not really cert related, but what could be useful in this area
possibly is on one of the sidebars, most under the devel and
production part, include a link to a page that has lots of info about
the capabilities such as max fs size of support fss, max ram, max
number of cpus it can handle, info on user scaling(can't think of what
it is called), and the like...

> Unfortunately this is a very difficult problem to solve,
> especially when most the geeks I know start to sneer when anyone
> talks about marketing bs.  While it is offensive to many of us
> (myself included), we can't afford to ignore it.

I think as long as it is all true and no bs is involved, I doubt it
would be much of a problem... I think when marketing execs begin
piling on loads of bs is where most geeks begin having probs...