my thoughts on FreeBSD

Matt Jarjoura matt at tasonline.com
Mon Mar 1 12:40:38 PST 2004

Hello,

Again, repeating on a message from an earlier email I sent out on the
list... if RedHat and SUSE are good enough that ISPs are using them,
instead of saying how silly ISPs are to turn their heads away from
FreeBSD, we NEED to be looking at what exactly RedHat & SUSE have that
FreeBSD doesn't.  I doubt it's the cushy corporate backing, although
Novel will certainly have the inroads necessary to see a lot of old
Unix machines replaced with their SUSE/Novel boxes.

A) RedHat and SUSE both have GUI installers.  -- Honestly, how
important is it that FreeBSD remain a TUI-only menu based
installation-??  Sure it's simple, but screen-shots of it sure don't
appear appetizing to ISPs in a 2 week window.

B) RH/SUSE both have great upgrade engines.  -- I forget the command
line program in FreeBSD that allows you merge old settings w/ the new
settings.

C) The FreeBSD Foundation -- Great job w/ releasing Java, but I am sure
they can pull a lot more strings to start hiring UI Research Developers
and release their findings under a similar BSD license.

My last thought here...

I am not saying FreeBSD should be focused on Desktop users, but server
admins are starting to get a lot more "desktop-like" features from Mac
OS X Server, Win 2k3, even RH and SUSE.  Bandwidth for running X11 over
SSH isn't a problem like it used to be.

Just some stuff to keep open for discussion.

-Matt