Reply to V. Velox & questions about ``evangelism''

Mike Hoskins mike at adept.org
Mon Jan 19 14:31:47 PST 2004

Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Matt Olander [Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:26:13PM -0800]:
>>good question. key points I always touch on are:
>>ports collection
> ... Gentoo Linux
> ... pkgsrc
> ... propably some more build systems I haven't heard of.

lots, particularly lunar.  so many linux distros do this now that i find
it almost completely unjustifiable to use a distro that doesn't.
(running something like rhe for the sake of oracle compliance would be
one justification i can think of.)  not that i'm a linux guy, but most
modern linux' are more "bsd-like" than ever before.  ;)

>>From Gentoo Linux user's perspective, Portage build system will be better,
> than FreeBSD Ports, just because s/he will be able to rebuild whole system,
> not only 3rd-part apps using single interface.

portage was basicly a linux user trying to reinvent ports...  which
turned out quite nicely, but could still be better.  the freebsd ports
collection is always evolving, as are the goals of other sub-project's
port/package/build architecture/whatever.  it's good to track what
everyone's doing and present a comparison...  but don't bother with
personal bias, and make sure you keep it up to date.