(FreeBSD) for Linux Users

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Jan 13 14:19:49 PST 2004

I've long been tossing around the idea of writing a "BSD for Linux Users"
sort of essay.  I wanted to approach it, not from the direction of
building a laundry list of command correspondences and differences like
that, but rather by describing some of the design philosophy and
methodology that cause the differences.  My theory is that once you
understand those foundations, the upper-level differences are both easier
to figure out, and make more sense when you do figure them out.

I've had lots of it floating around my head, and some bits and pieces
scratched out in text files floating around my homedir.  But I finally
took a weekend to sit down and try and pull it all together.

It's now on my webpage starting at
<http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php>.
It's rather long (somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 words), but I
think it's fairly readable.  I'd be interested in any feedback on it,
especially from Linux users anybody might know who've had trouble
grasping the BSD Way(tm).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net