NYC BSD User Group being launched

G. Rosamond george at sddi.net
Tue Jan 13 05:49:01 PST 2004

We have initiated a BSD user group in New York City called NYCBUG
(pronounced "nice-bug").

There are two goals for this new user group:

First, to provide a forum for the many BSD users in New York City to
discuss and debate topics of interest to the BSD community.

Second, to provide a bridge to users interested in learning more about
or expanding their knowledge of the BSD family.

Our kick-off event will be a free "birds-of-a-feather" session at
LinuxWorld Expo at the Jacob Javits Center on January 22nd at 5:45pm,
Room 1E15.  We will have a presence at various tables at the expo,
including those of BSDMall and New York PHP.

Our first presentation, "Secure by Default: Learning from OpenBSD," will
be held on Wednesday, February 4th at 7:00pm in the offices of
SageSecure, 116 West 23rd Street and 6th Avenue on the fifth floor.  To
be given by Wes Sonnenreich, author of "Building Linux and OpenBSD
Firewalls" and "Network Security Illustrated," this talk will deal with
crucial security concepts and best practices for today's computing
environments.  Subsequent meetings will take place at 7:00pm on the
first Wednesday of the month.

Our website is located at www.nycbug.org.  The site will include a joint
documentation project with New York PHP and OpenlySecure.org, focused on
providing original documentation to new and experienced BSD users alike.
NYCBUG also provides community mailing lists to assist in discussion and
learning about the BSD world.  Interested users join the mailing list at
http://www.nycbug.org/mailinglist.html.

NYCBUG is open to all interested individuals, including, but not limited
to, users of FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OpenDarwin, Darwin
and Mac OSX.

Since the origins of Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) UNIX in the
1970's, BSD has been a consistent force among the backroom servers of
the world, powering internet service providers, hosting firms, and web
sites such as Yahoo! and 2600.com.  NYCBUG works to assist current
users, those interested in learning more about this fundamental
operating system family and various other BSD projects, and to provide a
channel for community interaction.

We look forward to supporting the BSD community in a variety of ways in
the coming months and years.  Please join us in making NYCBUG a success.