Where is FreeBSD going? (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 11 21:38:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> I was thinking about taking some pictures of trains here in Holland, but
> they don't get washed very often and the sleek looking ones are all
> rather... dirty.
>
> I don't know what Robert's idea was, but in my own imagination, I see a
> silver, streamlined train with a clearly visible cockpit and at least 1
> car behind it (though 2 or 3 would be nice). As always, the larger the
> picture (WRT resolution), the better. Backgrounds can be anything; these
> can be easily removed. As long as it's silver and sexy, it fits the
> image I had in mind when I saw Robert's ASCII vision ;)

Yeah, something stylized might work, I think.  It's true that it's very
hard to find a decent train.  I spent a bit of time last summer perusing
the royalty-free collections of several of the online image sources
(Getty, et al) and couldn't really find a decent one that I liked.  If we
find a decent royalty-free one from a source, paying a one-time fee that's
reasonable (i.e., <$200 or something) would be fine.  I don't think we
want to be dealing with royalties, however.

I should dig up some of my sketches/etc from this summer.  I had a few
font choices also that we might want to go with.  My first thought was
something slightly industrial -- perhaps Aachen Std.  I was hoping to
find an Aachen Light, but Adobe didn't seem to have one in their catalog.

(Guess who took a page layout course over the summer :-).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research