FreeBSD Today

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Sun Jan 11 05:46:34 PST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 01:22, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> it may be nice to allow such things to be more easily removed for
> "security" reasons, but one certainly does have to avoid shooting
> themselves in the foot.  in places where this is actually desired, it
> would probably be better to run a custom distro (which could really just
> be freebsd minus some agreed upon things to remove, backed by policy,
> enforced by script) or look at embedded/hardening projects which already
> do this or make it relatively moot.

What??? Remove the compiler for better security???
Many people (including me) can program without a compiler or interpreter. It
takes time to get used to, but it's not that hard to enter a complete
executable with ELF headers in the hexeditor, or even with cat if you manage
to avoid some symbols.

Daniela