Rework of the FreeBSD website [was: FreeBSD's Visual Identity:Outdated?]

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Wed Dec 29 11:17:51 PST 2004

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

>On 2004.12.27 21:04:14 +0100, Chris Zumbrunn wrote:
>

>>In the spirit of...
>>
>>On Dec 24, 2004, at 1:00 AM, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>>

>>>If somebody seriously want to do something for an improved website, I
>>>think people should come up with a mockup of what they think a better
>>>website would look like and post it to the www@ (and perhaps the
>>>advocacy@) list.  Just talking about it won't change anything (as the
>>>mail archives shows plenty of examples of)...
>>>

>>First Page:
>>http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb1.gif
>>
>>On other pages, where appropriate:
>>http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb2.gif
>>
>>An even more minimalist approach could be taken by just changing two
>>existing images and adding two lines to the current CSS styles,
>>yielding 95% of what the above screenshots show.

Excellent!, This is a step in the right direction.

>First, I think it's great you actually did some work on this.  I
>actually hadn't expected anything to come out of this thread :-).
>
>I think the "More Power To Serve" text should just be removed, but
>other than that I really like the look-and-feel of that grey bar.

Or something like that, I think changing the slogan is a whole project
in an of itself ;-) The slogan came from beatie and that fact that he
was a "daemon"

daemon:

[Middle English, from Late Latin daemn, from Latin, spirit, from Greek
daimn, divine power. See d- in Indo-European Roots.]

1. (in ancient Greek belief) a divinity or supernatural being of a
nature between gods and humans.

1. mythology demigod: mythological being that is part-god and part-human

2. mythology guardian spirit: a guardian spirit

2. A spirit which guards a place or takes care of or helps a person.

n. inward spirit; personality; genius. daemonic, a.

Computer Science. A program or process that sits idly in the background
until it is invoked to perform its task.

 /day'mn/ or /dee'mn/ n. [from the mythological meaning,
later rationalized as the acronym `Disk And Execution MONitor'] A
program that is not invoked explicitly, but lies dormant waiting for
some condition(s) to occur. The idea is that the perpetrator of the
condition need not be aware that a daemon is lurking (though often a
program will commit an action only because it knows that it will
implicitly invoke a daemon). For example, under ITS writing a
file on the LPT spooler's directory would invoke the spooling
daemon, which would then print the file. The advantage is that
programs wanting (in this example) files printed need neither
compete for access to nor understand any idiosyncrasies of the
LPT. They simply enter their implicit requests and let the daemon
decide what to do with them. Daemons are usually spawned
automatically by the system, and may either live forever or be
regenerated at intervals.

Daemon and demon are often used interchangeably, but seem to
have distinct connotations. The term `daemon' was introduced to
computing by CTSS people (who pronounced it /dee'mon/) and used it
to refer to what ITS called a dragon; the prototype was a program
called DAEMON that automatically made tape backups of the file
system. Although the meaning and the pronunciation have drifted, we
think this glossary reflects current (2000) usage.

- http://www.onelook.com/