The Website

Aaron Siegel aj at siegel-tech.net
Fri Apr 9 20:02:03 PDT 2004

Hello

I would introduce a new idea to the discussion, rather than putting the your
effort and immense talents into creating a webpage channel into a new
interface for FreeBSD.  I do not mean creating a GUI or anything like the
commercial linuxes have tried. A HTML./XML interface that can be used to
guide one through FreeBSD and the opensource world and allow you to interact
with your system.  The web interface has revolutionized the embedded gateways
and routers. Why shouldn't this interface be applied to the PC and PC server?
I am not a computer professional or web page design so I will not be able to
get to technical. I know there are  projects out there that try to create a
web based configuration program, I have tried one of them, I think it can be
done better.

I see this interface can be used in three ways, for  promotion of the system,
installation, and extending FreeBSD use the people who prefer  graphical
interface.

1.  Functional Servers on a Disc - create a promotional CD-Rom and floppy that
boots a full functional FreeBSD server.   After the system is booted the user
can go to their desktop, pull up the interface and let the guide lead them
trough the configuration process.  A functional, diskless server, ftp, web,
NFS, ssh, router, DNS name server, Samba fileserver, firewall .....

2. The Installations -  I really like sysinstall as long as I do not try to do
to much with it.   When I need to do a fresh install I like to do a minimal
installation with sysinstall, install only the system. Reboot the computer to
perform the configuration and install all the packages. This gives the
ability to know what I am getting and with the proper guidance is not any
more difficult. The interface would provide that guidance, one would do a
basic install, and perform the configuration at desktop or a local web
browser.

3. Administering - I perfer command line and text files so I will leave this
to your imagination.

There are many technical issues, this is not the place to discuss. I just
wanted to share my ideas see if anyone else might be intrested.  Anymore
discusion on this should be moved to a different thread.

 I could probably develop small pieces of the project, but I do not have the
experience to start the whole project.