BSD Success Stories

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Thu Apr 1 02:34:25 PST 2004

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg [Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:11:44AM +0200]:
> Do we have anyone at Yahoo! that could write something up for us?
> Yahoo! must without doubt be one of the biggest feathers in
> FreeBSD's hat.

Roger and everyone - don't get me wrong, but as I already wrote it
somewhere: I am quite tired of "Yahoo runs FreeBSD" advocacy. In the
"ancient" times, their success story was very important for FreeBSD, as it
clearly showed, that they would be unable to accomplish their task the same
way, as they did it with FreeBSD - Linux was too immature at that time.
Today the times have changed - Linux is often used to do large projects,
like google.com, for example. This doesn't mean that we should ignore the
fact Yahoo uses it - not at all - but, perhaps, people like me would really
be more interested in hearing about other companies and projects, that use
FreeBSD, as we already heard, that Yahoo does it. Many times.

Also, chances are, that Yahoo! is not as popular and not as widely known in
my country, as it is in yours.

> I know that distributed.net runs FreeBSD. It would be nice to have
> something from them that shows that BSD can handle massive SQL

... and that's news for me. I haven't heard that they use FreeBSD. I look
forward to hear about much more other projects!

Take care,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net