Converting Linux Users

ftyczka ftyczka at ftyczka.org
Sun Sep 28 03:08:19 PDT 2003

Daniel Rudy wrote:

>Hello,
>
>	I've been around trying to convert Linux users to FreeBSD.  It seems
>that the primary objection to FreeBSD is that their software won't run.
> I explain to them about the Linux, SVR4, and IBNSC2 ABIs. Their next
>argument is what about RPMs?  I explain the package system and ports
>system to them.  It seems that many Linux users don't know a whole lot
>about FreeBSD.  I say we go on a campain to educate them.

I guess the best way to convince them is to show them the uniformity of
the system.
Whether it's my computer, my friend's or any other FreeBSD box it is the
SAME system,
it feels the same way, and it works the same way. Unlike Linux, where I
have to check
where the config files are located each time I roam to another box.
Apart from that - FreeBSD IS UNIX. Linux is NOT. It's just something
made to work the
same way.
When I first heard of FreeBSD I though that it is a nice idea, but I was
kinda scared
of whether I would be able to switch easily - after a while with
FreeBSD, I never looked
at Linux again. And I don't think I ever will.

;)