Desktop FreeBSD

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Wed Sep 17 16:11:09 PDT 2003

Johnson David [Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:48:22PM -0700]:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 02:23 pm, Michal Pasternak wrote:
>
> > Just port it from Debian... and tell ports maintainers to update
> > their files. You need to have such "update-menu" description file -
> > and you need to know, which package is a windowmanager, to also
> > generate configuration for it.
>
> The Debian way is nice, but we already have some pieces of our own that
> we should work with.

For example?

I am very, very interested.

> I would say use Debian as inspiration and a source
> of ideas, but still do it our own way.

... even if Debian's way is the one, right way to do that? That would be a
little silly, don't you think? I am really, really interested how would you
solve this problem.

> The more you have to tell port maintainers what to do, the more
> difficult it will be to get buy-in.

Of course. That's why it is a hard task

> So definitely get a prototype of
> something working first. It's an easier sell that way.

You _won't_ make it right basing on "prototypes".

> > Python seems a correct language to code such task in. Network
> > infrastructure would be powered by Twisted Python
> > (www.twistedmatrix.com), GUI would be done via py-gtk2.
>
> Stuff to be hashed out. Personally I think C/C++ is the best to code
> this in.

Well, personally, I don't.

--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl