FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlist2 at HotPOP.com
Tue Sep 16 14:27:05 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:04:10 -0400
Benjamin Polidore <cash at h50.net> wrote:
> Yet again, this list is out of control.
>
> I think the argument most people are trying to make is that FreeBSD needs a
> more MODERN site, not a more "professional" site whatever that means.
>
> The format of the site hasn't changed in YEARS, and in this time, there have
> been many advances in web technology.  In order to represent FreeBSD as a
> modern operating system, its web site should make use of at least some of
> these technologies.  Of course the site shouldn't be gaudy or glib; it
> should be modern looking and appealing to first time visitors while
> maintaining its practicality to regular users.

Yeah, I think giving it a occasional change could be good. I personally think it
would be interesting to see better use made of the center sections... devoted to
news and/or recent changes and the like. As well as having a short introduction.

> To the purists, I would say that a modern site can actually be MORE
> efficient; that is the purpose of PHP and the like.  Things like collapsible
> menus and other dynamic content can make browsing a site a lot easier if
> done well.
>
> FreeBSD needs a new look.

Cool.