FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Tue Sep 16 13:41:49 PDT 2003

>What is so bloody horrible about the FreeBSD site? It is much more proffesional
>than redhat's site. The two side parts are great. The only thing that could
>stand to be redone is the center section. It providing a bit more info and ect
>could be nice.
>
>Yes we do have a different way of judging things. I regard proffesional as
>lacking glib or having little glib. Looks are entirely pointless. Info
>are the only things that matter. The ability to effectively convey that
>information is being proffesional, not throwing in a bunch of glib and
>confusacating the entire issue.
>
>There are many ways of laying stuff out. The template redhat borrows is just
>one, But in the case of redhat it is just horrible implemented. I have
>personally yet to see how layout choices factors into proffessionalism. As long
>as it provides the info and ect and little or no glib, then it is cool and
>proffessional.

What in God's name does glib have to do with websites or
professionalism? What in God's name is "confusacating"? Do you know what
glib is? Ack!

>Glib came into this when you mentioned redhat's site. It is glib and only glib.
>With very little of any actual value. The navigation is badly laid out.

glib is a C library containing several routines to make things like
string handling much easier. It has nothing to do with web sites,
design, or layouts (or professionalism). Many 'professional'
applications utilize glib. End of glib discussion, mmmkay?

>I am glad not every one is like me, that would be boring. The numbers don't
>matter, in this case. A large chunk of them lack the ability for rational
>thought. Thus they relly on others to make their choices for them. That is what
>marketing execs are for. To help them make decisions to buy inferior products.
>One should not let themselves be manipulated by the majority just because they
>think they are right. For the most part right and wrong are just a illusion. Let
>others live in peace when they let one live in peace, but when they don't, one
>should take action and put it to a end.

Here, I have a better idea. Why don't the people that want to make a
'more professional' site (which I interpret as meaning one aimed at
corporations and enterprises and such) make that and why don't you stay
out of it? You seem to be throwing a lot of flames and 'confuscating'
(heh) a lot of things. Like glib and web design/development. I
personally don't appreciate seeing this kind of stuff, even when it's
not directed towards me.

I do agree that FreeBSD could benefit from a more 'enterprise-targeted'
site (although, as I said earlier, Sun's website is
'enterprise-targeted' and is also quite simple). It doesn't have to be
really busy or even something totally different. All the same, a site
targeted at corporations is not a bad idea. Somebody just has to take
initiative to:

a) Make it
b) take criticism

So why don't we all just lay down the flaming sword and start working
together instead of against each other? Or have I been hugging too many
trees lately?

--Devon