FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Mike Hoskins mike at adept.org
Mon Sep 15 03:49:06 PDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> Randi Harper wrote:
> I work for one of the largest callcenter companys in Europe, and we
> do have a significant number of FreeBSD installations. Still, I cant
> help feeling we would rely more on FreeBSD if it just had a more
> proffesional image.
> Pie charts and blinking things only goes that far, being able to
> show a good looking website would help alot, especially when youre
> up against Red Hat or SuSe.

first, if you've tracked the site at all, you'll know how far it's come
over the years.  everyone involved with the web/doc project deserves a
huge pat on the back and a few rounds.  the quality of content, number of
examples, correctness, and layout (ease of navigation) of the site and
documentation have improved dramatically over the years.

could it be better?  i don't know anything that' can't.  however, the last
i checked, this was a volunteer effort.  if you really think the current
site is so 'bad', come up with a new one that offers more content, easier
navigation, faster load times, easier management, etc...  and get it
approved through majority vote or community consensus.  now before you
say "but that's what i tried to do" -- let me finish...  i like
creativity, but i just can't help thinking that the arguments made here by
some against the current website don't hold much water.  i looked at the
mockup, and it was honestly pretty bad.  it would not present a
professional image to anyone i know, even at the director and VP level.
most directors, at least, have heard about (proper use of) CSS.  this
thing has borders that only display in IE...  that's great for a free
UNIX' homepage.  it has a body with a relative width but a header with
fixed with...  i could go on, but the point is if you want to make
suggestions of this nature...  at least look like you have a clue about
webdesign/layout/presentation.

and again, it's a volunteer effort...  i may be completely off base, but
i'm sure if anyone wants to convince a handfull of top-notch web designers
from design firms around the globe to come in, brainstorm, and rework the
site...  bringing everything up to the latest standards and making it
quite "whiz bang" while also being fully functional...  not many would
object to the free labor. ;)

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher at adept.org>
To: spam-catcher at adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!