new freebsd slogan!!!

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Fri Sep 5 11:06:09 PDT 2003

twig les [Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:20:25AM -0700]:
> And that was obviously *5 FRIGGIN PATCHES* for my windoze box on
> Wednesday, I simply didn't wait long enough to post.

Dear Twig Les,

please notice the name of this mailing list. It's freebsd-advocacy at . It's
_not_ windows-bashing@ ;)

Even if we are pro-BSD, we can't tell false things to people. Saying, that
FreeBSD doesn't need patching is not true. It doesn't need updates as often,
as Windows or Linux does - but it still needs them, it still has bugs
inside, like every software we use everyday. Just like the "set it and
forget it" "slogan" RexFelis thought about - it's also not true. If you will
setup some box, with some services on it and forget about software updates,
you might end up defaced.

"BSD: What you'll probably end up on anyway." sounds good - and it is true.
No matter if you run Slackware, Debian or Redhat - you will still end up
compiling some software packages from sources, just because binaries don't
contain the options you need. BSD has ports/pkgsrc. BSD is good as a
development platform.

My slogan? "BSD: We know, who wrote the code. Linux - until 2.5.x. branch
(that's about 25 MB of gzipped sources AFAIR) didn't had _any_ version
control system... and that could help them with that SCO case. Pity.

... ;) or "BSD: we don't pollute the internet with the same binary package
for 10 different distributions" ;)

Regards,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl