mplayer

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Oct 14 15:06:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Eric Anderson wrote:

> However, I'd love for someone to write up a "converting your mpeg stream
> to divx on FreeBSD" article.  I don't know how to do this really, but
> I'd love to help figure it out.  I'd love to be able to take my favorite
> movie with me on my laptop when I'm traveling, without having to carry
> the DVD disc around..

Not a howto, but I just published an article by Steven M. Schultz
regarding some performance of encoding MPEG-4/DivX (using non-threaded)
and MPEG-2 (using threaded encoder) on BSD/OS 4.3.1, BSD/OS 5.0, FreeBSD
5.1 and SuSE Linux 8.2. It is at
  http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/2003/10/Features110.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I hope to write an article about Ogg Theora which I pkgsrc-ized
(pkgsrc is NetBSD's cross-platform ports framework) and have been using it
for a few months. Anyone else using Ogg Theora for video?