TextMaker for FreeBSD trial now available

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sat Oct 11 04:21:05 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:05:32PM +0200, Martin Kotulla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have just updated our web pages to reflect the fact that we now have
> TextMaker for FreeBSD as well. I guess you could consider that as a
> commitment to the FreeBSD operating system and its users.
>
> To find out more about TextMaker, go to http://www.softmaker.de/tml_en.htm
>
> Also, we have a trial version of TextMaker for FreeBSD up. Go ahead,
> download it and tell me what you think (sucks - is great - doesn't work
> on this FreeBSD version - works fine here) and file bug reports. I am
> very interested in your feedback.

Hi Martin,

One thing I've noticed after a few minutes playing with the TextMaker
trial - whenever I pop up a dialog (File->Open or whatever), system load
shoot up to 97% and stays there until the dialog is closed.  It seems to
be spinning in the X server, keeping itself as the active window and on
top of all other windows.  Interestingly, this doesn't happen if I turn
off 'Window Manager Dialogs' in the Look&Feel preferences.

This could be something specific to my setup - I'm running XFree86 4.2 and
KDE 3.1 on a few-months-old 4.8-STABLE system.  Let me know if there's
anything else you'd like me to try.

Other than that, the program looks pretty good.  It's great to see more
commercial developers supporting FreeBSD!

	Scott