A case of FreeBSD users shooting all FreeBSD users in the foot?

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Oct 10 23:41:34 PDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:15:20 -0500
Jonathan <j.e.drews at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> On Friday 10 October 2003 11:46 pm, Peter Kieser wrote:
> > Actually.. in general, it seems to usually be the Linux users that have the
> > "RTFM" approach, other then us ourselves. We have an awesome handbook to
> > RTFM to, compared to anything that is available for Linux.
>
>  The "If you ask advice, you'll get polite versions of 'RTFM' mostly." may
> very well come from the #freebsd irc channel, on freenode.net. I have gone in
> there once or twice and witnessed  really rude behavior. #freebsd is an
> excellent reason not to use FreeBSD. I would not dare ask a question there; I
> think it's run by professional (l337) sysadmin guys who are into sadism.

The occasional rude behavior is the nature of irc, you will see the same thing
on linux channels too. I personally have had many more negative experience when
dealing with linux users than freebsd users.

Generally #freebsd on freenode tends to be pretty good... as long as you bother
reading stuff and then asking questions... if some one points you at a piece of
material read it and if you still have questions, then ask... some questions
will also go unanswered because no one knows or no one cares enough answer it...
this is especially true for odd questions...