TextMaker for FreeBSD now also supports FreeBSD 5.x

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 10 12:50:51 PDT 2003

On 10-Oct-2003 Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>
>>On 09-Oct-2003 Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
>>

>>>As for the product, my initial impression is rather favorable, but as
>>>I'm running 5.1 and waiting for Java, I can't compare it to OO.
>>>

>>You can build OO from ports on -CURRENT, btw.  It took about 23 hours
>>on my P3/700 laptop, but it does work.  I used Impress for the slides
>>for my BSDCon talk this year.
>>
> Really?
>
> Hmm, if I can get it working, my build should be faster
> (Athlon 1800+ here...) AFAIR, when I started
> /usr/ports/editors/openoffice it decided it needed Java,
> & asked me to download it manually.  I don't recall
> whether or not I decided that download ever got
> here (dialup, 44,000 on a good day) and perhaps
> I wrongly assumed that when the FBSD Foundation
> said that Java wasn't working on 5.x, they were correct.
> Speaking of FBSDF, aren't you part of that?  Maybe
> I read wrongly...
>
> Anyway, I didn't finish setting up the JDK/SDK<?>
> as a result of that info.  If I have time, I might go
> ahead and see.  If I don't, I may just send softmaker
> a check.  I guess I've got 28 days to decide, m/l....
>
> Thanks for the heads up, anyway...

I'm not part of the foundation, no.  However, you can either
build OO using the Linux JDK (which you may have to fetch manually).
Or you can use the Linux JDK to bootstrap building a BSD JDK on
current using the /usr/ports/java/jdk13 port.  Note that you will
have to follow the directions to download both the jdk source as
well as the patches.