what's unix and what's not

Milo Hyson milo at cyberlifelabs.com
Tue Nov 25 18:32:23 PST 2003

Alex de Kruijff wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 02:01:24AM +0100, .VWV. wrote:
>

>>what's unix and what's not?
>>

>I feel that *anything* that is based up on the orginal Unix version
>should be called Unix. So I would say Linux should also be called UNIX
>or UNIX-BASES, just as *BSD is. Another reason why this difference realy
>souldn't be thare is that Linux have copies source from BSD in to it own
>source.

It is my understanding that the Linux kernel was built from scratch. It
may be patterned after UNIX, but it wasn't based on it. BSD, on the
other hand, is derived (indirectly) from the original work by Ritchie
and Thompson. Of course, I may be on crack....

--
Milo Hyson
Chief "Mad" Scientist and Director of Asian Operations